Sunday, July 20, 2008

Did Barat Condo Conversion Fail?


I received a call from a real estate agent (a Barat Grad) Saturday concerning the continuing tragedy of Barat Chapel in Lake Forest, Illinois. Apparently the condo conversion has gone bust, perhaps proving the market for sacreligious destruction of Holy Sites is not what it used to be.

But not before the Stained Glass and much of the liturgical goods had been removed from the chapel. It seems as though the developer had put such a priority on destruction of the chapel that he was not able to prioritize his spending on actual construction and sale of residential units.

I will follow up Monday with a few calls, and post something more than my brief conversation.

Here's a pleasant video tour of Barat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am a blogger in Lake Forest. I stumbled on your post about barat college and the condo work stoppage. Do you have any more info on that? I'd love to get it on my blog.
Adrienne@gazebonews.com
www.gazebonews.com

Anonymous said...

Are you serious? Is the chapel still standing? Please post more, or email us at Sacred Architecture with the latest!
editor@sacredarchitecture.org